Just Facts is a non-profit research and educational institute dedicated to publishing comprehensive, straightforward, and rigorously documented facts about public policy issues. To accomplish this with objectivity, we use exacting Standards of Credibility to determine what constitutes a fact and what does not.
The vision of Just Facts is to equip people throughout the world with facts that empower them to make informed decisions about important matters. This requires proven facts that accurately convey reality, not pseudo-facts, half-truths, or talking points.
Research from Just Facts has been cited by a diverse array of prominent organizations and individuals. A sampling of these includes:
media outlets, such as CBS, PBS, the Wall Street Journal, Investor’s Business Daily, Yahoo News, CNBC, Forbes, Psychology Today, and Roll Call.
educational institutions, such as Pepperdine University, Vanderbilt University, the University of Texas, West Virginia University, the University of Hawaii, and numerous high schools and middle schools across the United States.
academic publishers, such as Gale Cengage Learning, Encyclopedia Britannica, Praeger, Routledge, Elsevier Health Sciences, and McGraw Hill Professional.
government entities, such as the Oklahoma Department of Labor, the Alabama Department of Education, the Utah State Board of Education, and the education ministry of Northern Ireland.
peer-reviewed journals, such as the International Journal of Sciences: Basic and Applied Research, Clinics in Dermatology, Asian Social Science, and the Journal of Global Faultlines.
think tanks, such as the Hoover Institution, the National Tax Association, the Pacific Research Institute, the Heritage Foundation, the California Policy Center, and Instituto Liberdade (Brazil).
political and advocacy groups, such as the Liberal Democratic Party of Australia, the Children’s Advocacy Institute, Doctors for Life International, and the Washington State Education Association.
commentators, such as Ph.D. economist Walter Williams, Constitutional attorney Mark Levin, and meteorologist Joe Bastardi.
associations and corporations, such as the Association of American Medical Colleges, IBM Corporation, the National Association of Veterinary Technicians, and the American Nurses Association.
Furthermore, millions of students, voters, businesspeople, and researchers from more than 150 countries have directly accessed the research on our website. Many of them—from high school students to Ph.D. scientists—have sent us notes of appreciation that express the value of our work to them.
* Meticulous Documentation: Just Facts documents the facts we publish far more thoroughly than academic standards require. In addition to footnoting every fact with creditable sources, our comprehensive research also provides exact quotations or data from these sources. This allows readers to quickly verify that we accurately represent them. In brief, we provide complete and convenient transparency for every fact.
* Primary Sources: Just Facts makes extraordinary efforts to identify and use highly credible primary sources instead of secondary ones. This is because secondary sources often reflect someone’s interpretation of the facts instead of the actual facts. Moreover, such sources sometimes fail to mention important caveats revealed by the original sources.
* Raw Data: Within reasonable constraints of time, Just Facts strives to present data in its rawest comprehensible form. This serves as a safeguard against data that has been manipulated to produce desired outcomes. By providing straightforward data, Just Facts curbs and unmasks the methodological trickery that often permeates policy debates.
* Comprehensiveness: It is very easy to distort reality by selecting facts that align with certain views while ignoring others. Just Facts rejects such reporting and seeks to present the whole truth, because half the truth can amount to a total lie.
* Estimates and Minor Discrepancies: Just Facts handles such cases by giving preference to figures that are contrary to our viewpoints and by using the most cautious plausible interpretations of the data.
* Clarity: Just Facts uses language that is precise and unambiguous to minimize the potential for misinterpretation. In George Orwell’s essay “Politics and the English Language,” he criticized people who use words “in a consciously dishonest way. That is, the person who uses them has his own private definition, but allows his hearer to think he means something quite different.” Just Facts pledges to never do this and to expose those who do.
* Balance: Our goal is comprehensive accuracy, not balance. This distinguishes us from publications that present brief quotes from people on opposing sides of an issue. That practice can be highly misleading because:
In stark contrast, Just Facts does not provide a platform for propaganda or token displays of balance. Instead, we supply thorough, verifiable facts.
Just Facts is passionate about finding the truth and making it known. Thus, we work diligently to ensure that our research is scrupulous. If, however, you should ever find an error in our research or feel that we have missed a critical fact that alters the implications of any matter we have addressed, contact us, and we promise to make it right.
We strive for continuous improvement and welcome critique, but we do not have the resources to investigate unsupported claims. Hence, be certain to fully substantiate any assertions you make with explicit quotations or data from credible primary sources.
Just Facts is a research and educational institute that began as a website in 1997 and was formalized as a 501(c)3 non-profit organization in 2007.
James D. Agresti, the president and cofounder of Just Facts, has two decades of experience in public policy research and analysis. He holds a bachelor of science in mechanical engineering from Brown University and previously worked as a designer of jet engine components and systems, a technical sales professional, and chief engineer of a firm that customizes helicopters. His policy writings have been widely cited by academia, as he brings practical, rigorous approaches from the physical sciences into the often capricious world of public policy.
Stephen F. Cardone, the chairman of Just Facts’ board of directors, holds a bachelor of science in psychology from Brown University and has 30+ years of private industry experience in corporate management, operations, logistics, accounting, and customer service. Just Facts’ other board members, employees, contractors, and volunteers are all an integral part of our organization.
Nearly everyone has personal political views, especially those involved in policy research and journalism. We think people in these fields should disclose this information so the public has some insight to their mindsets. Nevertheless, they often don’t do so and portray this lack of transparency as a sign of neutrality. As is the case with any thoughtful group of people, the staff and board members of Just Facts have some varying opinions, but we predominantly subscribe to these defining principles articulated in the Declaration of Independence:
In other words, we are conservative/libertarian in our personal views—but unlike many policy and media organizations—Just Facts is devoted to objectivity, and we do not favor facts that support our viewpoints. Instead, we will report any fact that meets our Standards of Credibility, regardless of the implications.
While today’s news media can be entertaining, ask
yourself, “Does it give me the information I need to
make quality decisions in my life and in the voting
Make the effort to gather credible facts and ponder their implications. Your views and your vote impact not only your life but the people and world around you. Refuse to allow misinformation, preconceived notions, or other’s opinions to manipulate you. Instead, form your views with broad knowledge and serious thought.
Producing quality research takes time and money. Please help us shift public opinion to reflect reality by making a secure tax-deductible contribution today.
641 Shunpike Rd #286
Chatham, NJ 07928